Hunting Trolls in Norway

Norway is the land of trolls. Real trolls, not those socially-stunted, hate-fuelled nuisances that lurk on messageboards and shout “faggot nigger” at every rational, reasonable comment and make jokes at the expense of 13-year-old suicide tragedies. No, I’m talking real trolls, 13-foot monstrosities that live in the woods and eat goats.

Now, I’ll admit I didn’t see any actual trolls during my four days in Norway. I presume mainly because I was in the big city and not way up north in the cold forests, but I knew the trolls were there. You only need to watch Trollhunter to know that trolls are real. And kids in Norway grow up believing in trolls, with fairy stories that become urban legends that become accepted truth. Nobody in Norway has ever seen a troll because the people that venture out to find them never return but they all know they’re there.

Norwegian Cabin in Snow in the Woods

I was taken out into the woods by my host and his girlfriend, who also both showed me around the entire time I was there. I was the spare wheel, the sparkly new plaything, the pet dog, for four days. I quite enjoyed it, if I’m honest. I’d love to be someone’s pet – getting fed, going for walks, lazing around every day; hell yeah, I could get used to that. Any offers?

We got off the Tube at the end of the line, which is handy because I’d never be able to remember the name of the specific stop as it contained more consonants than a Polish surname. The tube stop itself was one platform with some barriers and a ticket machine. We headed off down the hill, inadequate shoes slipping in the snow. I say inadequate, but Norwegians don’t do sandals and high heels. Women in Norway are more likely to wear spiked-hiking boots than stilettos on a night out, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. All I ask in a woman is that they have more pubes than bottles of shampoo.

Our trainers (sneakers to you non-Brits) weren’t ideal for the snow so we didn’t go for the long hike. We’d have ended up wet and cold and we’d have been easy pickings for any trolls hiding in the trees. So instead we climbed down the hill and into the big cabin in the photo.

Inside was all timber panelling and moose-heads hanging from the wall. There was a big fireplace and chandeliers making the spacious two-storey place feel cosy and warm. Norwegians certainly know how to escape their winters, whereas if you come to England in the winter, you’ll constantly be wondering where that draught is coming from and why the hell the thermostat decides to not work the one time of year you need it.

Inside of Norwegian Cabin

The cabin itself was a glorified cafeteria. I feel like I shouldn’t mention that in case you were expecting groups of grizzled old hunters resting their rifles against chair legs while eating the spoils of their day. But it’s true. We collected trays and served our own soup out of the pot and grabbed bottles of apple juice from the fridge and slid our trays along to the cash register. It was a familiar scenario for any Brit.

I say the place wasn’t filled with grizzled old hunters but everyone there was at least Norwegian. It wasn’t a tourist attraction, so it felt authentic, right down to the food I chose. My host went for the shrimp soup, his girlfriend went for the salmon sandwich and I was told I should try the sour cream porridge for “the real experience”. In Norwegian it’s called rømmegrøt.

Most Norwegians don’t even like the stuff apparently, and the smell of it as I ladled it out of the pot made me gag. But I was generous with the sugar, raisins and cinnamon which improved the grey gloop somewhat.

“You have to add butter too,” my host said to me.

I grabbed an individual butter pot. “Butter?”

“Yes, it’s traditional. It keeps the goblin king away. Make sure you eat it or something bad will happen.”

“So what, like, just put the whole thing right in the middle?”

“Yes. Just put it in.” (There’s a joke here somewhere about greasy, buttery packages and “putting it in” but I’m far too dignified to make it in such a warm and wonderful environment.)

So I did. The butter melted into the warm porridge and made the improved sweeter taste become bitter and gross again. But I didn’t want to be killed by the goblin king so I ate the whole lot. I nearly threw up afterwards but I wasn’t killed by any goblins so I guess it was worth it.

I didn’t see any trolls during my first day in Norway, let alone hunt any, but I did learn about traditional folklore while sitting wrapped up warm in a cabin in the woods. Not as exciting but it’ll go down as one of my more memorable meals.

Anyone else have any favourite restaurants/places they go to escape the cold? If your story includes trolls, even better!

Advertisements

20 Comments Add yours

1. oahuhiking says:

I think the trolls are living in Hawaii

2. itchyfeetme says:

well-done, good crack yet again..:-)

3. There's a frog on my Sprocket! says:

As a Swede I assure you that had you omitted the butter the goblin king would have surely gotten you. Plus, trolls do indeed lurk in the woods and you are fortunate to have ventured in and lived to blog about it.
    Did they warn you of wolves, if you hop over to Sweden, look out for wolves. Trolls are indeed much friendlier than goblins or wolves. = )
    Great story and you have grit for eating the porridge..
    alison

1. ambigram0 says:

Oooh, wolves sound like fun! Would love to come to Sweden, especially as Norwegians often go to Sweden to buy stuff because it’s a lot cheaper!

4. Lois says:

That porridge sounds… interesting… but at least you were safe!

5. feckthisshit says:

Brilliant!!

6. sounds like you’d believe anything! 😉

1. ambigram0 says:

I CAN’T WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS!!! YAY, SANTA!!!

1. yes yes, he comes down the chimney!! pulling your socks in the night if you don’t behave! 😉

7. Clare Burns says:

My problem is that I have too many restaurants that I choose to go to escape the cold, and not enough places not associated with food! One of my favourite sanctuaries from sleet and freezing fog is the Harrow Inn in Steep, Hampshire. It is an ooolld building, has a huge open fire with an inglenook and handy tree stumps for those really keen to get chillblains and/or broken veins, and enormous bowls of homemade ham and lentil soup, served with hunks of freshly baked bread. I am sorry Chirpy, but this beats rancid vomit-inducing porridge every time! No trolls, though, just some local legends in their own lifetime who prop gather each night to quaff a pint and put the world to rights…

1. ambigram0 says:

Ahh, but you have to go out of your comfort zone sometimes so you know how great the Harrow Inn really is. I take an entire day once a year devoted to listening to just Bieber, Minaj, Swift, Perry, and all these modern legends, just so I can appreciate Bowie and Floyd the next day. 😉

8. pubnknit says:

Rømmegrøt sounds like the grits we eat in the southern American states. Although I do like grits, and there are no threats of being eaten alive if you don’t add butter, we just like to add butter to everything. Norway sounds so cool, I’m trying to convince my Norwegian boyfriend to take me there.

1. ambigram0 says:

One of my biggest regrets about America – I never tried grits! I spent five months in North Carolina, I *really* should have tried some!

All the Norwegians I spoke to said Oslo is the worst part of Norway. Go west coast or way up north is what everyone said. Way more beautiful apparently. I’m sure your boyfriend will know!

9. Cold? What’s that? I just see the sun shining all the time… ^.^

And thanks for the butter tip! I’d rather keep the butter out and face the goblin king! (I’m sure we could come to a friendly agreement – especially if he had to eat the Rømmegrøt with butter in it!)

10. Karen says:

Mental note to train ninja skills against goblins so I don’t have to eat porridge when I eventually get to Norway! Great post 🙂

11. sunnyromy says:

Reblogged this on SunnyRomy and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

Say Something!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s